Friday, October 31, 2008

Spain in Black and White

It's funny how things go in cycles. I began this trip with my sketchbook in hand, excited to reconnect with my love of drawing. I brought with me my favorite drawing pens and gum arabic eraser.... and I was ready. But as I was working, pen wasn't enough. Sometimes what drew me to an image was the colors. So I bought that set of colored pencils. This was a great addition, and completely made a few of the pieces work.

But as I have continued to draw, making my way across Spain, the light has begun to change, and the colors haven't been as inspiring. I have found the shapes and silhouettes to be what catches my eye of late. I have found myself preferring the stark quality of just using pen. So I am back where I began, sending home the elaborate and amazing set of colored pencils. Using instead a small and economical set of watercolors from Windsor & Newton.

Here are some of my recent black and white drawings.

This is "La Redonda," the affectionate name for the powerful central church of Logorono, Spain. It caught my eye from the moment I saw it. I came pack a few days later and sat in a nice little cafe, listening to french folk music, and drew the doorway.

This is the cathedral of the good pastor, the focal church in San Sebastian. Most people prefer the front of the church (which I posted in my last post), but I really like the back of the church, where this octagonal rear room is really lovely.


Last but not least. Santiago de Compostela. This two-day creation was a great experience for me, giving me lots of time to absorb the sights and sounds of this square. The front of this cathedral is the true focal point of the main square, and provides an amazing backdrop to the whole city.I liked talking with the pilgrims, as they came up to admire my work and tell me about their pilgrimmage.

No comments: