Saturday, October 4, 2008

Closing Throughts on Lisbon

Well, I am set to leave Lisbon after just over a week here. I honestly feel really sad to leave! I have really come to appreciate the windy streets, narrow alleys, and old architecture as the backdrop for my journey. I am headed to the north, to a town called Porto, which is also rich in history.

As I look back on my adventures here, these are the things that stand out as the best of the best of my Lisbon:

10. Lisbon Night Life
Starting around 11, the streets of Barrio Alto fill with people. With no open container laws, people wander the streets chatting, drinking, smoking, and drinking some more. Although it was far, far too smokey for me, it was really quite remarkable how full the streets became--cars couldn't even drive by!

here I am holding someone's purse, and all those people behind me are hanging out in the street.



9. Thieves' Market
Every Tue and Sat, one large section of Lisbon is taken over by a huge flea market. With hundreds of vendors, you can find just about anything you are looking for.







8. Beach
Given their location strattling a "river" (really more of a long bay), Lisbon and it's surrounding area is lined with beaches. Within a few minutes walk you can be on a nice sandy beach... 20 minutes drive, and you will hit 50 K of undisturbed public beach.

7. Elevator
I discribed this in an earlier post, but it really was amazing!

6. Lisbon's Pastries
I don't even know where to begin! Every region of Lisbon and the surrounding area has their own special pastry. They are all delicious, especially when fresh. Generally they all use almond, vanilla and cinnamon, and are creamy and custard-like in the middle. This particular one is called a Queijada (kay-jhah-dah) and it comes from Sintra, and tastes much like the little cinnamon rolls we made with pie dough as kids.



5. Painting the Tile
I wrote about that earlier, so no need to rehash.... but at least I can show you the finished product!



4. Panteao
I stumbled upon this amazing building accidentally, as it wasn't marked on my map. The building is truly amazing, as you can see from these pictures.







3. Belem
Belem is top Lisbon as Charlestown is to Boston... it's a small area filled with history. There are three amazing structures built in the same area:

a monument to the explorers...

the decorative Torre de Belem...


and a monastery.

2. Rooftop Bar
One night I stumbled upon this rooftop bar/cafe. I was there for the most amazing sunset, while sipping natural mint tea. Not a bad way to live.





1. Sintra Palace
By far the most amazing building ever. I have seen castles and palaces before, but there is something about this one. I think the pictures speak for themselves. I was in awe, and would have liked to stay there drawing all day.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, very special, i like it.