Tuesday, October 28, 2008

San Sebastian, España



I am in love again.

I just spent two days in the coolest city. San Sebastian is one of the most visually interesting cities I have ever seen!



I ended up there on the recommendations of a few people, and I found that there was good reason. I hopped on a bus planning to go only for a day. But once I got there and looked around, I knew a day wouldn't suffice. So I found a Pension (guesthouse) for cheap and then returned to the bus station to change my ticket.

The first day was nothing but rain, which necessitated a quick stop for an umbrella and a dry pair of pants.



Thankfully, though, I had left my large pack with my kind hosts in Pamplona, so I only had my small day bag, making it easier to maneuver around. But despite the persistent state of cloudiness, the rain (day 1) and the bitter winds (day 2), I was in awe. The architecture was amazing, and really stirred one's imagination and creativity. As the seaside capital city of the Basque country in Spain, the older buildings there have a special blend of origins--






a bit of france,









a bit of gothic,





and some from turkey....


altogether stunning.






All architecture is created intricately, right down to the smallest details on bridges, gazebos, and lamp posts.









One of my favorite things about the city, though, was perhaps just coincidental. The city has an antiqued dull pastel glaze feel to it... a pallet only emphasized by the overcast days. Although it is somewhat muted, the undertones of color are really interesting. It looks like the city exploded in Faberge eggs.

Consequently, my favorite part of the city was an old, seemingly abandoned carousel sitting in the city hall park next to the beach. Its muted colors, enameled surface, and ornate style was in perfect harmony with its surroundings. It was like it belonged there.



I, of course, couldn't resist the urge to climb around a bit...














Now this is only the tip of the iceberg--my favorite places, but I highly recommend you put it on your list of places to see.

No comments: