Friday, October 10, 2008

A Fabulous Day in Porto

Yesterday was a great day. In fact, I think it was one of the most best days I have had so far. It wasn't exciting, fun, or awe inspiring, instead it was just wholly satisfying, relaxing, and at the perfect pace. I think I am starting to get the hang of this.

It began with a few hours drawing. I have been in Porto for 6 days now, and there is a specific view that I have been wanting to draw since I first walked into town with my large backpack. Yesterday, the weather finally cooperated, and I went to the riverside, settled into a nice seat on the cement wall, and started in. I have to admit this is my favorite so far.


That done, I headed back up the hill, and sat in a little cafe, treating myself to a grilled cheese sandwich and an ice cream for lunch. Next, I decided to take the bus out to the westernmost tip of Porto, and explore the shoreline. So my afternoon began.

The first thing I saw was one of the relics of years past. A decaying edifice that I am sure was once glorious. I think it is really beautiful as it is now.



Just a bit further along the shore was the Castelo do Queijo-one of the preserved forts that once protected their coastline from invasion. I have to admit I was uninspired by the building itself, but the gathering outside was fabulous. I call it the Old Man Brigade. Most parks have a section where old men gather to play chess, this is the largest of such gatherings that I have seen to date.



I continued along the beach, stopping for a while to write, and explore the smooth stones that covered the beach. Most of them are marble, so the are smooth, hard, and cooold.



The boardwalk is lined with little cafes just like this one. It would be a fabulous place to spend the afternoon. I liked passing each one, getting a sense of their style, and the atmosphere... different music, the decor, and the clientele. I was window shopping the cafes, really!



Finally, I decided to treat myself to dinner. I went up to the roof of the Hotel Boavista. On the fourth floor, I had a lovely view of the whole shoreline. I ordered a small bottle of wine, and decided to hang out until the kitchen opened for dinner. As luck would have it, that waiting time was a breeze, with this gorgeous sunset!



What made this view even better, was that I was overlooking another of the old forts--Castelo de Sao Joao do Foz.



I think I could get used to this!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats amazing story.

Anonymous said...

ok. I found an information here that i want to look for.