Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ponta Delgada, Acores, Portugal

Well, hard to believe it, but I am here...
I have arrived safely in my first destination.~
I stepped off the plane, passed through immigration easily, got my bag, zoomed through customs, and was quickly at the tourist office. They gave me a map, and general directions.
Taking a taxi, I made my way to La Poutade de Joventude, otherwise known as a youth hostel. Contrary to the tourist lady´s warning that they are surely full, they had plenty of space for me, and I reserved a bed for the week at 16€ a night. Woo hoo! Easy as pie! With my accomodation all set, I change out of my traveling clothes and got into more weather appropriate gear, left my bag in a secure location, and set off for an exploratory walk. (The details of what there is to see here I will describe later, when I am able to upload pictures, as this internet cafe doesn´t have accessible USB ports).
I walked around for several hours, found a beautiful church on a hill to draw, and then meandered my way along the ocean and back to my hostel, where I promptly took a LONG nap. This 4 hour difference will take some getting used to.
So that`s that. I am here, safe and sound, admiring the beautiful, tropical countryside, and trying to get my lay of the land.
Hi mom and dad! Don`t worry, everything is great!
Thanks again to Daniel, Gareth, JC, Cara and of course my folks. I could´t have made this crazy move wihtout you! Lots of love!

1 comment:

GaryJr said...

I can't believe you're gone! And I didn't even get to see you to say goodbye!

Hopefully I can still meet up with you some place in the next year.