Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Best Things About Funchal, Madeira, Portugal

I left the mountains a week ago for the capital of Madeira, Funchal. My host brought me to an amazing hostel, and I secured a room for the week. Despite an early onset of the rainy season (it has rained about 65% of the time), I have really enjoyed my stay. Aside from the convenience of electricity, phones and internet access, here are the things I liked best.

10. After 9 days in the mountains, I have to say it was amazing to be brought into the most spectacular room in the hostel when I arrived in Funchal. I had the only balcony in the place, and was paying a nomical shared room fee per night. I was in heaven!



This is honestly my view...



9. Columbus lived on this island for a time, so a replica of his boat, Santa Maria, is used to shuttle tourists around the shoreline. It's pretty neat to see a 15th century boat cruising around...



8. I traveled 4 hours each way by bus to the very western tip of the island. In a small village called Ponta do Pargo, they were celebrating the apple harvest with the Festa do Pero. It was rather quiet, and clearly an event for locals and their families, but I liked hearing traditional Madeiran music and seeing the streamers up close that I have seen all over the island.



7. I finally visited a winery and sampled some of the local Madeirans. I have to admit the flavor was not at all what I expected, but it was neat to try all the different flavors. To my surprise, I preferred the 10 year old dry type(second from the left on the top). It wasn't too sweet.



It was a functioning bottling facility, so I got to see how it was stored and packaged.



6. Remember that meal I told you about... well I ate it down by the water (on Avenida do Mar). This is all that was left. That was a quality moment.



5. I finally had the chance to visit the comtemporary art museum. Ironically, the modern art is situated in one of the old restored forts! This bright yellow relic sits right near the water and also houses a beach down in front!





This was my favorite piece that I saw. It's fantastic! Layering acrylic with newspaper!



4. ABC d'arte (the art store) will always have a special place in my heart. The manager let me in, even though it was supposed to be her lunch, she waited while I chose the right colors, and helped me when I returned for more. Whats more, she gave me a discount on my large pencil set that I bought earlier this week. Muita obrigada!

3. The port of Funchal is always busy. One of my favorite things to do is to sit or walk along Avenida do Mar, which is the main (although touristy) street. It is lined with vendors, outdoor cafes, and incredible views of the rest of the bay.



This is what the bay looks like from the hills, complete with the dramatic clouds I wrote about before.



2. I had the most wonderful day. I found this public pool area in Lido, the touristy mecca adjacent to Funchal. For 3€ you have all day access to a changing\showering area, large swimming pool and a lifeguarded ocean swimming area. I spent the day sunning, swimming, drawing, and sampling the local favorite fish Espada (eh-shpahd-ah) or black scabbard. Very light and delicious. It was a very restful and lovely day, and among my favorite memories thus far.



1. Absolutely, without a doubt, my number one experience in Madeira....
I think the picture really speaks for itself...



We spotted between 100-160 dolphins, playing, splashing and feeding, and including some young. At the end of our viewing, as we sped off to leave, this group was playing with the boat. They sped along with us for 5 minutes or so. I was in awe!



Oh, and I forgot to mention, of all the possibilities, I ran into my wonderful new friends Lawrence and Anna again! I recognized their voices as I was walking down a small street! They are lovely. They took me out for tea and passed along some unused bus tickets to me! Thanks so much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess!
Sorry that I haven't been in touch more, but life here in Cairo has been chaotic (which is an understatement). Anyways, good news for both you and me is that I am getting an apartment in the next couple of days! I cannot wait to have you here in Cairo, your travels already seem to be just so amazing. Let me know when you are thinking of stopping by.

Cheers,

Rebecca