Saturday, September 6, 2008

How to Drive Like an Açorean

  1. Get a Zaris. I swear, that car or other similar cars, make up 80% of the cars.
  2. Make some roads. Really narrow ones. With barely room for one lane in each direction.
  3. Give the roads some sidewalks. About 18" on one side and 3' on the other.
  4. Now make these roads unbelievably windy. Truly. So windy that you are never in a straight away for more than a minute.
  5. Oh. I forgot. After Step 2... Park on these sidewalks, leaving your left side still in the street.
  6. Now drive fast. Shockingly fast, with a lot of quick hairpin turns.
  7. Oh yeah. Don't forget to drive every manner of vehicle on these roads, especially construction equipment. Make sure that the widest of the vehicles drive in opposing directions so that you need to stop and slowly inch along entirely on the sidewalk and nearly scraping the adjacent buildings.
  8. Oops. I forgot to mention that these roads also curve over the dips and rises of this mountainous landscape! It´s like being on a rollercoaster all day long!

Now I think you have an idea. I hope to post a video on this soon.

It was truly a heart-in-your-stonach kind of moment. I was amazed that I didn't witness atleast one accident. However, I did see a lot of cars with scrapes along their entire left side... I wonder if the latter has something to do with the former...

Pete, I think you would love driving here. It would make me crazy!

No comments: