Sunday, September 28, 2008

Lisbon on ceramics

One of my favorite things about Lisbon so far is the buildngs that are tiled with these beautiful traditional designs. It's not every building, but it's often enough that it is something to look forward to around every corner.





The art began as completely hand painted designs, but for houses and more commercial places they print them to decrease the price. Like these that I saw at a flea market.

All the tiles get put together in different ways to make different patterns. Like this.



Yesterday, however, I found a small shop that maintans the old hand-painted tradition. I milled about the shop, admired the handy work, and found a cheap printed tiled section. I bought myself a small tile to remember it by.

As I was paying, though, I happened to ask the woman where I might be able to watch tiles being made. "Come with me," she responded. We headed to the back of the store, where she herself began to paint a tile. I was amazed at how simple the process was!

  1. Select your design. and trace it lightly onto a piece of vellum.
  2. Poke holes along the lines of the vellum.
  3. Choose the appropriate-sized tile, and lay this set of guidelines over it.
  4. Run a cloth filled with graphite dust over the vellum sheet, leaving a series of dots that will serve as your guidelines for your work.
  5. Now paint it with pigment suspended in water, using a stick to brace your hand for accuracy. Like water color, the stronger you want the color to appear, the less water you use.
  6. Once you have finished, throw it into the kiln. Voila! The white coating on the tile contains the enamel particles that will merg and reform into the gloss on top of the tile. Simple as that!
I was amazed... and curious... so I asked the OBVIOUS question, or atleast obvious to me.
What question might that be? any thoughts?




letting you think




Well, I asked, " Can I try?" Amazingly, the reply was "Sure!" Apparently it's the occasional artist that goes in who gets the desire to try it themselves. SO, my mind starts runnin g about what to paint.... I decided to go for one of the pictures I had drawn in Lisbon. Here is the image I worked from.




On friday, I will go and pick it up! Woo hoo!
Mom and Jennie, I think you gals would love it, so find somewhere to try it!

No comments: