Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sevilla, España

There are lots of amazing things to say about Sevilla. In fact, it is rivaling San Sebastian as the most beautiful city I have ever seen. Because of this, there are too many things to mention here. So I will exercise some reatraint. Here are some of the things I have enjoyed the most about Sevilla.

First of all, I need to give a HUGE thank you to my lovely hosts. They lovingly welcomed me into their home for these several days, sharing laughter, good meals, the highpoint of this city, and their beautiful home with me. Here they are! Aren't they fabulous! Thank you Cristina and Javi!


Secondly, all the images we have of Spain in the US are alive here, and they are proud of it. They love their futbol teams, they celebrate bullfighting and flamenco dancing, and they eat tapas in boisterous cafes. It's very vibrant with culture here. So I did the touristy things, saw the main attractions, and enjoyed them.

the Torre del Oro (the Tower of Gold, where the city's gold supply from the Americas was stored)


One of the last remaining segments of an ancient Roman aqueduct


a flamenco show (of questionable quality, however)


and in true Spanish form, lots and lots of churches, including this tiny one


One of the biggest tourist attractions in Sevilla is the Cathedral and the bell tower. The Cathedral is ENORMOUS, decorated in the same elaborate gothic style reminiscent of the cathedral in Santiago or the Bath Abbey. It is really stunning, though. The tower is called Giralda, referring to the weathervane that sits atop the steeple. It is the oldest surviving weathervane in the world, or so I overheard a tour guide saying.










Other cool things about Sevilla?

Their main streets are lined with orange trees. Given their southern position, the weather here is still pretty nice for fall--t shirt weather, in fact. There were loads of fruit on the trees, many of which were nearly ripe. Cristina and Javi were telling me that the fruit does get collected to make marmalade! Who knew?!



Given their proximity to, and past relationship with, the muslim world, throughout the city you can find decorative elements of islamic origin. Elaborate designs, decorative archways, rounded towers, and circluar or star shaped windows. I can't wait to see more in Morocco! Also of Islamic inspiration are the common open courtyards inside buildings. In fact, Cristina showed me her parents apartment building, which has THREE different courtyards inside, not visible from outside.




My personal favorite thing about Sevilla architecture, though, was one building; a relic from the 1929 World Fair. It is a large, horse shoe-shaped building called Plaza España. There are 5 decorative buildings connected by long corridors with amazing decorative arches. The two ends of the buildings are punctuated with ornate towers. All of the banisters, benches and fances are made of decorative painted ceramic,bringing the space to life with bursts of color--especially blues and yellows. The courtyard is constantly alive with tourists, hourses and carraiges, and the vendors and performers looking for business. I came here on three different days, and I still haven't explored every detail. I think it is my single-most favorite building to date. I really enjoyed it there.













My last favorite thing about Sevilla?

Well, you'll never guess.

Nope

Keep guessing

Not even close

Ok. This is it.



Who can guess what it is? Cristina and Javi----no helping!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahaha

persimóN!!
Elisa introduced these fruits to us some weeks ago! really tasty aren't they?
:)

keep walking,Jess. With no hurry
Love u!

shonagirl said...

Carla, you are tooooo good!
I will try my best on the walking thing. Thanks for the reminder. :)

I thought of you at Plaza España. You would really like it there.
Love you right back!
Besos!