Friday, July 13, 2012

Beaches: Western vs Mexican Style

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have left Teco.   I am now in the well-developed (or over-developed) part of Mexico: Cancun/Isla Mujeres.  The contrast between Teco and here is sooooooo great, that I wanted to share some of my observations with you.  For any of you planning a trip to Mexico, I hope this helps you think a bit more about what kind of experience you would like to have in your visit.

I am sure everyone is acquainted with idyllic beaches, even if only in our imaginations--white, fine grain sand, turquoise water, lapping waves and cool breezes.....  yeah, that.  Picture that.  That's Cancun and the surrounding area.  That's why people come here.   I literally took this photo this morning as I walked around Isla Mujeres (where I am staying, just of the shore of Cancun).

It's the kind of place you can go to to just completely unwind.  The beaches here are mostly maintained by hotels, with staff that clean (raking sea grass and leaves) and set up the beachfront early every morning before guests rise.  Most hotels have beds or cushioned lounge chairs available to guests.  They seem to remain largely empty until mid day to late afternoon. 

If you do decide to utilize these comfy spots, you are treated to waiters who bring cocktails and appetizers.  In this manner you could easily pass the whole day without any interruption; just sun, sand, waves, and your thoughts.  It is certainly very peaceful and quiet, and understandably appealing to travelers seeking a relaxing vacation.
 



Immediately upon entering the Cancun airport, there was a clear difference in this area compared to sweet little Teco.  The first sign, was that I wasn't the only white face for miles.  Gringos abound 'round here.  With all this tourism, comes two things: English and money

I had worked so hard on my Spanish, speaking hardly any English for 2 weeks, so I was disappointed to see how easily one could get around using only English.  Because of the pervasiveness of English, most people lead with English, even in the most basic of exchanges.  I am proud of myself though.  My default language here continues to be Spanish.  I haven't flipped the switch back to English.  Regardless of whom I'm speaking to, I still first speak in Spanish--just out of habit and what I consider to be respect for the country I'm visiting.  Even with my intermediate language ability, the locals are appreciative of the effort. 

Also, along with the the high international traffis comes money--lots of it.  This area seems to just be overrun with money.  Everything is new, clean, fancy and otherwise the opposite of Teco.  In stark contrast to the pristine sand, expensive cabanas and designer shops, the Mexican beaches have a lot more color.  It turns out that Tecolutla is quite the tourist destination within Mexico.  My last few days in town were at the beginning of the Mexican vacation season, as school had just ended.  So what were once 4-5 liberations with 5-20 people, now became 6-8 liberations with 60+ people. 

Not only did our guest list increase, but in general, the beaches filled, too.  Most Mexican folks seemed to head to the beach early in the morning (the beach was close to full by 9:30), presumably to snag a spot at one of the beach umbrellas or hammocks under the palapa with drink and food service. 

Once situated, it's a non-stop food fest.  Just about every kind of food imaginable is sold on the beach in one of these bike carts.  Vendors could be seen wheeling them up and down the beach from 8am til 9pm.  You can buy...  cocktails...


coconut sweets...

shaved ice with assorted flavors....

fried food and sea food...

tamales...

oysters on the half shell with lime...

There are also vendors selling chips, nuts and other salty snacks; fresh coconuts to drink the water; cut up fruit with salt, hot sauce and lime; mango on a stick, corn on the cob (slathered with mayonnaise and hot pepper).  That last one, I would have loved to have a photo of, but I had been so excited to see the corn, only to be completely caught off guard when he started to put the thick coating of mayonnaise that I didn't think to grab my camera.  I was too busy trying to quell my gag reflex.

In addition to the plethora of food carts roaming the beach, there are lots of other items for sale too.  You can find bracelets, necklaces, stone carvings....

bags...
bathing suits...

floaties...

and I'm sure there's even more that I've missed.

In terms of beachwear, I notice a big difference between the states and Mexico.  First of all, interestingly, Crocs are essentially the national footwear here.  It seemed as though in Tecolutla, 2 out of every 3 people wore Crocs.


I noticed also that the people here are very careful about sun.  Most people spend the day fully clothed, and it was not uncommon to see a group of people with a liberal application of sunscreen, such as this family.  Additionally, most people spend are camped beneath a palapa or umbrella for additional protection.

Lastly, I definitely noticed a difference in swimming behavior.  It was not uncommon for me to meet people in Tecolutla who didn't know how to swim!  It could be in part due to the shallow grade of the water entry.  You'd have to go quite far to get in past your waist!  I noticed that there is just a lot of sitting, and letting the waves lap over you, such as this group.

Of course not all beach behavior is different...


Though there are a lot of differences between the Western and Mexican style of beach leisure, of course, at it's core, the goal is the same: relax, have fun, and spend time with loved ones.  But I have to say, if forced to choose, personally I'd rather spend time on the colorful, lively shores of Tecolutla, than the comparatively sterile beaches of resorts. 

So at least now you have a snapshot of two totally different styles of beach living, as seen through the eyes of a backpacking traveler.  I suppose you just need to decide what the main purpose of your trip is.  If you just want to kick back and relax, without a care in the world, then any all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean will serve you just fine.  BUT, if you want to travel a bit, experience a new culture, and get a taste of the local flavor, then I highly recommend buying yourself a flight to Mexico City, hopping on a bus, and heading to one of Mexico's local beaches.  But, in the words of the great LeVar Burton: "You don't have to take my word for it!"

2 comments:

Sara ML said...

Hey, Jess, one of my friends has a cooking blog and, coincidentally, recently posted her recipe for the Mexican corn snack you were talking about, which she brought from her days of studying in Guadalajara. Just thought I'd pass it on -- enjoy or not! :-) http://thequickanddirtycook.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/mexican-grilled-corn/blog_june-22-2012/

jess said...

Awesome, Sara!
Thanks for sharing that! I'm glad I read it, because I hadn't noticed the cheese part! Somehow, I just can't get my mind around the mayo..... Maybe I'll try it my next trip back?! Thanks for reading!