Sunday, October 9, 2016

Huacachina: Best Sandbox Ever!

I just packed up after a few days of playing in Huacachina, Peru.  I like to call it the best sandbox ever!  Though the average traveler only visits Huacachina as a day trip, I am thankful that I took a bit more time.  I arrived in the afternoon, and stayed for 2 more full days.  The town itself is a tiny tourist community build around a oasis, literally in the middle of the desert.

A view of the tourist town of Huacachina, surrounded on all sides by spectacular sand dunes

Surrounded by dramatic and beautiful dunes, the area is a tourist playpen.  From dune buggies and ATVs, to sand boarding and sledding, there are thrills around every corner. 

My first sand buggy ride, with a great view of Huacachina
Trying out sandboarding...  or at least spectating

A persistent hiker climbing his way up the highest dune to ski down.

 I turned up knowing nothing about Huacachina, hauling my gear from the van to the cheapest hostel I could find.  Upon advice from the front desk clerk, I immediately locked my things in my room, and headed out for a last-minute sunset dune buggy ride.  I imagined this to be a beautiful and awe-inspiring ride, watching the light change the landscape…  what it was in reality, was a white-knuckle rollercoaster ride that kept me screaming and laughing for an hour!

My and my first dune buggy!  (Don't mind the olive oil that spilled on my shirt just before I left!)

The drivers are confident in their vehicles, and drive with abandon.  I’m a little ashamed to say that more than once, I was genuinely afraid that the buggy would tip over, and roll down one of the steep slopes.  While the other riders tried their hands (and feet) at sand boarding, I wandered off taking pictures, trying to make the most of the setting sun.  I arrived back to my hostel exhilarated, and a little shaky, having decided to wake up very early the next morning in order to climb the tallest dune to catch the sunrise.

I loved the patterns the wind made in the sand

My own footprints through one of the many beautiful dunes


It was a tough wake up the next morning without the sun to rouse me.  In fact, one more push of the snooze button, and I would have missed the best part!  In the end, I did manage to get up and out, and it didn’t take long before the dune climb had my heart pumping and my lungs heaving.  With pretty frequent breath breaks, I made my way up the trail, reveling in being the only one around.  About 40 minutes later, I was rewarded with spectacular views of Huacachina,  surrounding Peruvian towns, and miles and miles of spectacular sand dunes.

My first photo of the dunes at sunrise.  It was a tough climb, but worth it!
I spent a long time at the dune's crest, and enjoyed doing my own self-portraits
I was mesmerized by the fluid patterns made by the sand


I stayed up at the crest for about 2 hours, trying to capture the warmth of the sunlight on the sand in a photo.

One of my favorite pictures from my time in Huacachina.  I was all alone at the dune's crest,
until one other brave soul joined me there


My photography really came together, though, when I opted to try black and white.  The colors and contrast really hadn’t been coming out the way I would have liked in my first round of pictures, so I switched over, and am really pleased with the results.

My second dune buggy ride



I went out for a 2 hour walk in the desert.  It was an amazing feeling
to be all alone in such a beautiful and unique place

Some people even brought their own tents and camped in the dunes.
I have to admit, I was more than a little jealous
All told, I had about 2 1/2 days in Huacachina.  I spent every sunset and sunrise out in the dunes, chasing pictures.  I even took another, longer, buggy ride on my last night with some new travel buddies I made.  This tour took us WAY out, deep into the dunes, and was the most spectacular sunset spot I could have hoped for.  I had a blast in Huacachina, and highly recommend it as a stop in a trip through Peru.

The obligatory dune selfie....
and another...
Me and my newest crew of travel buddies.
These great guys are visiting from Germany

A well-timed sunset jump shot with the people from my last sand buggy ride.

No comments: