Thursday, August 6, 2015

A Feast for the Eyes

Sometimes I think we need to just look at pretty things.  That's what this post is for.  It's not too educational, explanatory or helpful, but I hope that it is at least lovely!  Here are just some of my favorite photos from my two weeks in Hawaii.

This little rabbit is an outdoor resident of the Backpacker's Hostel outside of Haleiwa, Oahu.
A female cardinal.  So pretty, even when compared to the flamboyant males.
I saw this adorable munchkin at a beach along the north shore.
Her family watched from the beach as they just let her explore the sand and water.
A beautiful valley along the Windward Coast of Oahu.

That same valley 2 days later.
A full moon.  
Not even my footprints.  Just liked the shot with the early morning light.
You already saw this with my Waimea Botanical Garden post, but I
 thought these water lilies were just so lovely, they warrant a second viewing.
I haven't found out the name of these yet, but they are all over the place,
 much as seagulls, pigeons or crows would be back home.
I believe they call this island "Chinese Hat," or something similar.  A beautiful drive along the Windward Coast.
The remains of an old sugar mill found on the Windward Coast.
Still more beautiful views from the Windward Coast, which is by far the prettiest area I have seen here.
Early one morning, I watched this man on the jetty in Waikiki.  He was feeding the birds, who
 eventually landed on him.  He attracted the attention on a young family, showing them how to
 gain the birds trust, and eventually, they had a slue of suitors, too!


At Shark's Cove on the North Shore, we did some diving, swimming through lots of caves and caverns!  Great light!
Hi!
This last photo is definitely one of my favorites.  She has become one of my favorite seals here.  Her name is Ola Loa.  She is 7 months old, and an aunt to the pup I have been monitoring during this program.  She hadn't been spotted on Oahu in a few weeks, and with the high mortality rate recently due to entanglement in fishing nets, we were all relieved to see her turn up the other day.  I spent about 5 hours watching her as she sunbathed.  She's sweet, alert, inquisitive, and seems healthy.  Phew!  Let's hope she remains that way for many years to come!

No comments: