Friday, June 22, 2012

Packed and ready to go... I think!

So we are down to less than 2 days before I land in Mexico City!  I've been so busy with the end of school that the reality of this is only slowly sinking in.  The last few weeks of school were full of report cards, grading final assessments, completing student files, submitting paperwork, packing up the classroom to be cleaned, and then, of course, the downturn in student behavior as they adjust to heading home for the summer.  Now that that is all over, *phew*, I can focus on the good stuff: traveling!

For those of you who don't already know, I will be spending 2 months this summer traveling, eco-volunteering, creating and seeing nature's wonders!  This should be a summer to cross a few things off my bucket list:  seeing nesting sea turtles and/or hatching turtles, seeing whale sharks, going to the galapagos, and diving with hammerheads.  To this last end, I tried to see hammerheads in Belize last summer when I dove the Blue Hole.  The day before I went, 2 hammerheads were seen in the hole, and the day after another one was seen, but, of course, the day I dove....  no luck.  So cross your fingers.  I hear that hammerheads are commonly seen in the galapagos in August because of the cooler water temperatures.

The first part of my plan is to spend 2 weeks in Tecolutla, Mexico, helping with the preservation and protection of the Kemps Ridley Sea Turtle.  I came across this project a few years ago at a lecture at the Aquarium.  (If you have never attended the lecture series at the NEAQ, I highly recommend it!)  I met Fernando Manzano, affectionately named Papa Tortuga, who spoke on his efforts to educate his community on sea turtles, having worked to create the Tecolutla Turtle Preservation Project, which combines conservation and education to  help preserve the endangered sea turtle.  Fernando was so inspiring to me that I vowed then and there to find a way someday to help. 

So I taught my students a lot about sea turtles, and about Papa Tortuga, too.  We spoke about how what I was going to do was just one of the ways to help.  I was going to actually provide the labor necessary to help with conservation, but I will also be bringing letters from my students, who offer praise and suggestions for Fernando's work, and a donation on their behalf.  Here are some of their letters:



So over the next few weeks I will hopefully have first-hand experience with nesting sea turtles, and fulfill a lifelong dream.  I will keep you up to date on how that goes!

After I leave Tecolutla, I will have a week to travel in the Yucatan, with my main priority being diving.  It is around this time and place that whale sharks are commonly seen, and I fully intend on doing whatever possible to see this remarkable animal.

From there, I fly on to Ecuador and the Galapagos.  Here I will be staying and volunteering at the Hacienda Esperanza (Ranch of Hope), working to remove the invasive fruit tree species that are taking over the islands.  More to follow.

For now, I thought you might like to see what packing for 2 months looks like!  Here is what I will be bringing this time around. 

If you scroll back to my past posts, you'll notice I have downsized a great deal this time.  Less is more when it comes to traveling mobility.  I got a new pack that is smaller and lighter, and was much more selective in what I am bringing this time around, so I hope to have a lot more flexibility in what I am able to do.  With more experience, I have gotten much better at knowing what to bring on long trips.  It's all about finding the smallest, lightest, and most efficient and most versatile materials to bring.  Here's what is packed inside that pack:

minimal clothes, a raincoat, 3 different types of footwear: sneakers, chacos, and flip flops, snorkel and mask, quick dry towel, first aid kit, spanish-english dictionary, fish guide book, travel guidebooks, a leatherman, travel cell phone, netbook, and of course, a camera, sketchbook, watercolors, and pens. I will make a follow up post with some packing suggestions and even a more detailed packing list for anyone who wants help from someone with experience.

For now, thanks for reading, and I hope my coming travels inspire you to have your own adventures!  And when you do, be sure to tell me all about them!

No comments: